NOTICE: (Effective December 14, 2020)
- To achieve the required social distancing in the lobby, Montgomery County registration renewals will only be processed online, in our drive-thru, or by mail. All other transactions may be processed inside the office.
- Placards may be renewed by mail or in our drive-thru.
NOTICE: WHEEL TAX CHANGES APPROVED BY THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMISSION
Wheel Tax Increase
Effective September 1, 2017, the Montgomery County Wheel Tax will increase to $49.00.
July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption will be
limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. An End of Month LES,
dated within the last ninety (90) days, must be presented for
NOTICE: VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEE INCREASE, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017
Chapter 181 increases the cost to register a vehicle and includes an electric vehicle registration fee beginning
July 1, 2017.
Registration Fee Increases
The cost to register a passenger (personal) vehicle and/or motorcycle
will increase by $5. The cost to register a commercial vehicle used for
hire to transport passengers (buses, taxis) will increase by $10. The
cost to register commercial and freight motor vehicles/trailers (Heavy
Highway, Semi, etc.) will increase by a minimum of $20.
Electric Vehicle Registration
registration fee for electric vehicles will be $100. The electric
vehicle registration fee is in addition to the standard registration
Registration renewal notices, issued by the State of Tennessee, will reflect the new fee increase beginning in
For more information, visit www.tn.gov/revenue. Click on Revenue Help to
search for answers or to submit an information request to one of the agents.
NOTICE: TN DEPT. OF REVENUE INSURANCE VERIFICATION SYSTEM
Effective January 2017, a new Insurance Verification System will
be launched by the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Drivers are advised
to verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on their registration
and insurance card is correct. Insurance companies will report required
policy information to the Department of Revenue. Drivers will not be
required to submit proof of insurance unless the verification process
does not confirm insurance coverage.
- The fees for a new title and license plate are $94.00 (plus $3.00 if mailing the plate and documentation to the
- Transfer of license plate and application for title is $19.50 (plus $2.00 if mailing the documentation to the
customer). The registration of the plate and the new title must be in the same name(s).
- If noting a lien, an additional $11.00 fee will apply.
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a Tennessee dealer, sales tax is paid to the dealer; otherwise the
sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office. Calculate Sales Tax
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a private party, sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office at the
time of registration. Calculate Sales Tax and Fees. If the purchase price is
less than 75% of the NADA clean trade-in value, an Affidavit of
Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form) can be submitted at the time of registration and
sales tax will be collected based on the purchase price. If the affidavit is not submitted at the time of
registration, your paperwork may be audited by the State of Tennessee, Department of Revenue's Audit Division,
and additional taxes or documentation may be required.
- If an individual purchases or receives a vehicle as a gift from a lineal relative, an Affidavit of
Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form), completed by the seller(s)
and buyer(s), is required at the time of registration for sales tax exemption. A lineal relative is defined as a
spouse, sibling, child, grandchild, great grandchild, parent, grandparent, great grandparent, and spouse of
- Replacement titles for current Montgomery County registered vehicles can be obtained by the owner at our office.
The replacement fee is $16.00.
- A donation to promote Organ Donor Awareness is
- State of Tennessee Vehicle Services
Disabled Veteran Wheel Tax Exemption
Per TCA 5-8-102, any disabled veteran who has one hundred percent (100%) permanent total disability is exempt from
the motor vehicle privilege tax (wheel tax) upon submission of evidence of such disability. Proof of a 100% rating
(i.e., signed VA letter) must be submitted at time of application. No refunds will be issued after application has