Title in Customer’s Possession
NOTICE: WHEEL TAX CHANGES APPROVED BY THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMISSION
Wheel Tax Increase
Effective September 1, 2017, the Montgomery County Wheel Tax will increase to $49.00.
July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption will be
limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. An End of Month LES,
dated within the last ninety (90) days, must be presented for
NOTICE: VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEE INCREASE, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017
Chapter 181 increases the cost to register a vehicle and includes an electric vehicle registration fee beginning July 1, 2017.
Registration Fee Increases
The cost to register a passenger (personal) vehicle and/or motorcycle
will increase by $5. The cost to register a commercial vehicle used for
hire to transport passengers (buses, taxis) will increase by $10. The
cost to register commercial and freight motor vehicles/trailers (Heavy
Highway, Semi, etc.) will increase by a minimum of $20.
Electric Vehicle Registration Fee
registration fee for electric vehicles will be $100. The electric
vehicle registration fee is in addition to the standard registration
Registration renewal notices, issued by the State of Tennessee, will reflect the new fee increase beginning in July.
For more information, visit www.tn.gov/revenue. Click on Revenue Help to search for answers or to submit an information request to one of the agents.
NOTICE: TN DEPT. OF REVENUE INSURANCE VERIFICATION SYSTEM
Effective January 2017, a new Insurance Verification System will
be launched by the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Drivers are advised
to verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on their registration
and insurance card is correct. Insurance companies will report required
policy information to the Department of Revenue. Drivers will not be
required to submit proof of insurance unless the verification process
does not confirm insurance coverage.
Title In Customer's Possession
What the owner should bring to the County Clerk's office:
- Vehicle Title and release of lien, if applicable
- Proof of identification ( More Information)
- Two proofs of residency ( More Information)
- The fee for a title and purchase of a standard passenger license plate is $94.00
* (The new plate will be vaild for one year from the month registered)
* (Sales Tax may also be applicable)
If Military, the following documents are also required:
- Current orders stationing the military member to a base in Tennessee
- Current End of Month (LES) Leave and Earnings Statement within last 90 days
- If Tennessee is listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $94.00
- If Tennessee is not listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $45.00. *Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption is limited to one (1) per active duty member annually.
If not stationed in the State of Tennessee, you must provide proof of sales tax. You may be responsible for additional taxes.
** Please note - If noting a lien, an additional $11.00 fee will apply.